Toni Axelrod/Teva Mountain Games tevamountaingames.com
Gettin' down and dirty at the TMGs
June 7, 2008 —
It’s a good feeling to be the official online sponsor of the Teva Mountain Games, not only because we’ve got a media team competing in this event, but because the event itself is so chill, and emanates such a good vibe, that it makes us realvailers feel right at home.
This ain’t no high-fallutin’ pretty-boy contest … this is the Teva Mountain Games, where a dude can match his muddy sandals with a dirty shirt – or no shirt at all – and fit right in.
Hanging out before the Ozomatli concert last night (which was rockin’ by the way) I struck up a conversation with a few strangers who come to the Games from Denver each year. They agreed that this event, as active and busy as it is, is still a very, very chill event. There seems to be little stress, little yelling, and a very relaxed atmosphere – even among the world-class athletes who come from around the world to compete in Vail for the weekend.
- Realvail blogger and world-class skier Chris Anthony will be riding off his hangover on a mountain bike for us this afternoon in the Cross County mountain bike race at 4 p.m. … GO CHRIS.
- Dog launching, or whatever you want to call it, has got to be one of the most comical, interesting events I’ve ever seen. Congrats to the dog who broke the 27-foot record today (see www.tevamountaingames.com to see results).
- Clark and Kaycee Anderson, former locals who came back to town for the Games, suddenly decided to compete in the Ultimate Mountain Challenge this weekend. What was going to be a relaxed time away from work turned into an big-time challenge for the couple, and so we wish them all the luck this weeked. We’ll buy the beers come Sunday.
- And that’s the thing about the Games … Clark and Kaycee, my 71-year-old dad, and just about anybody who wants to can find a way to take part in the Games. It’s not just a spectator event – even shmoes like me can get in the water and be a part of it. And that’s why this is my favorite event of the year.
- Dan Davis is sending us tons of stellar photos from the Games, and as soon as I figure out a technical glitch I’ll have a slide show up for all to see … stay tuned…
RealVail Teva Mountain Games Photo Collection
Photo gallery by Dan Davis of trekkerphoto.com
See all of RealVail’s Teva Mountain Games stories and photos at the links below:
- Teva Mountain Games 2008 photo slide show
- A toast to the Teva Mountain Games pros and amatuers alike
- Tired happy the Teva Mountain Games are coming to a close
- How a defunct Vail dam brought luck to the Teva Games
- Got stripper skills Teva Mountain Games nightlife poised to deliver for a cause
- Vails Teva Games bring out the best in outdoor community
- Whitewater could be big for upcoming Teva Mountain Games June 5 8
- Teva Mountain Games Green Pledge is a welcome gesture
- Teva Mountain Games comes to Vail June 5-8
- Slopestyle charity crawl featured tonight as part of the Teva Mountain Games
- Town to improve whitewater park
Comment on "Gettin' down and dirty at the TMGs" using the form below