- An attempt to bring 'Colorado common sense' in Congress from Senator Michael Bennet
- A call for stories of Vail's ghosts and haunted houses
- Was it an alien ship, a UFO, or God who evaporated Air France flight 447?
- Part II: Large Hadron Collider will likely spell end to String Theory
- Part I: Don't expect CERN's Large Hadron Collider to reveal new dimensions of space and time
- Vail Mountaineer vs. Vail Daily Starbucks-gate: no wonder newspapers are dying
- Report: Hasan's moderate views catch conservative confab off-guard in D.C.
- The presidential politics of skiing: Did snow sports get the right guy?
- Happy New Year … but wait a second: scientists turn back time in 2008
- Happy trails to the valley's greatest weekly paper: The Vail Trail
- All Real Rhetoric Articles
July 28, 2008 — All this sun worshipping isn’t getting me anywhere. I’ve been waiting for years to witness my first solar eclipse, yet I’m stood up time and time again like the proverbial scorned lover.
There is little in this universe more appealing to a cosmic sense of order than syzygy, yet to witness the total eclipse this coming Aug. 1 you’ll have to be at a very, very high latitude (sorry to disappoint those of you grasping a bong in your basement, but Northern Lights will NOT get you high enough to be there).
Those of us in the United States will have some other options besides the schoolchild’s paper with a pinhole, however. An English-language website called NovosibirskGuide.com will be webcasting the view of the eclipse from Novosibirksk, Russia.
If that’s not geeky enough for you, a site called www.secondlife.com allows you to create your own online personality (or avatar) and walk into a virtual auditorium, where astronomers will answer audience questions as the eclipse is displayed on a virtual auditorium screen.
As for me, virtual isn’t the same as the real thing, so yet another lonely Friday night will be spent without the company of corona or umbra.
Comment on "Prepare to be stood up by August 1 total solar eclipse " using the form below