Courtesy of Arapahoe Basin
- C4 Waterman takes stand-up paddling from surf to snow at Teva Mountain Games in Vail
- GNC Ultimate Mountain Challenge returns to Vail to test top Teva Games athletes
- Registration open for the 2010 Teva Mountain Games
- Vail Nordic Center will close for the season April 4
- Past Olympians, world champions team with celebs for Vail's Korbel American Ski Classic March 17-21
- Vail Valley Foundation looks to fund local competitors through Athlete Commission grants
- Mountain bikers, off-road enthusiasts rally against Hidden Gems wilderness proposal
- Free skating, Pazzo's pizza, hockey gear raffle Sept. 9 at Dobson Ice Arena in Vail
- Vail Resorts, Lindsey Vonn ink four-year sponsorship deal ahead of 2010 Olympics
- Armstrong, Ritter revving up talks to revive Coors Classic-style stage race
- All Real Sport Articles
January 9, 2008 — Colorado’s latest ski area expansion, Arapahoe Basin’s Montezuma Bowl, opens to the public Friday at 11 a.m., increasing the ski area’s terrain by 80 percent. The 400-acre bowl located on the backside of Arapahoe Basin is the nation’s largest terrain expansion for the 2007-08 ski season.
The new terrain includes blue, black and double black slopes totalling an additional 36 runs. Snow riders will find cornices, chutes, glades and wide-open bowls. Several runs will be groomed nightly, giving intermediate riders some good cruising terrain, and hike-back terrain below the lower lift terminal is also available for the adventurous skier or rider.
Installation of the new fixed-grip quad Zuma Lift was finished on schedule in late October. It spans 4,100 feet in length and rises 1,100 vertical feet. The ride time is 9 minutes from top to bottom and the lift has a capacity of 1,900 skiers per hour.
“Montezuma Bowl is more of what people really love about A-Basin,” said Alan Henceroth, Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Arapahoe Basin. “The new terrain provides extraordinary blue, groomed cruisers and vintage Arapahoe expert terrain. By spreading people around a bigger mountain, we can preserve that special vibe that skiers and riders cherish at the Basin.”
For more information on Arapahoe Basin or Montezuma Bowl call 1-888-ARAPAHOE or log in to www.arapahoebasin.com or www.montezumabowl.com.
Comment on "A-Basin opens Montezuma Bowl Friday" using the form below