- Town of Vail office manager scores new Volvo at final Streetbeat concert
- Girardelli, Mahre, Klammer, Kostner, Wiberg among ski-racing legends in town for Ski Classic
- Vail Valley Foundation honors Beth Slifer as Vail Valley Citizen of the Year
- 2009 Vail Valley Citizen of the Year Award nominations due Friday
- Alpine Gardens to honor Dr. Richard Steadman with Spirit of Betty Ford Award in Vail Aug. 13
- Vail Valley Foundation now taking nominations for 2009 Citizen of the Year Award
- Randall named co-chair of the Vail Valley Medical Center Foundation
- O’Brien leaves Vail Valley Medical Center board after 11 years
- Celebration of the life of 'Sarge' Brown set for Saturday at Ford Amphitheater
- All Real Lives Articles
March 16, 2010 — The 2010 Korbel American Ski Classic will come out of the gate flying Wednesday, March 17, as a sold out inaugural Conway Cup community team race, presented by Korbel, officially kicks off the fun and festivities at Vail Mountain’s Golden Peak.
Scheduled for a 1 p.m. start, the Conway Cup, presented by Korbel, is named and run in memory of Dan Conway, a great friend to ski racing at all levels throughout the Vail Valley, who passed away in May of 2009.
Through his position as Director of Racing for Vail and Vail Resorts, he played a key role in all competitions held on Vail and Beaver Creek Mountains, from World Cup to NASTAR, including the annual Korbel American Ski Classic.
“The Conway Cup, presented by Korbel, will be a fitting way to pay tribute to Dan and all that he accomplished through ski racing in this valley,” said Michael Imhof, Vice President of Sales and Operations for the Vail Valley Foundation.
“It was a privilege for me to work closely with Dan every year on the Korbel American Ski Classic and the fact that the inaugural race is sold out speaks volumes about how this community felt about Dan.”
The inaugural Conway Cup, presented by Korbel, will feature 40 four-member teams of local racers, competing in a dual race format, with one team earning the right to advance to a spot in the Korbel Ford Cup celebrity team competition March 19-20. Second and third place teams will also receive prizes.
Entries were priced at $20 per team, with all proceeds benefiting the Conway Family Fund.
In addition to the Conway Cup, presented by Korbel, the 2010 Korbel American Ski Classic races will also include the Volvo Legends Giant Slalom on March 18 and the Korbel Ford Cup celebrity team competition on March 19-20.
Ski Classic social functions will feature the Hold em’ for Hope benefit on March 19 and the Legend of Honor Banquet on March 20.
The annual Korbel American Ski Classic is a project of the Vail Valley Foundation. For additional information on the Korbel American Ski Classic or the Foundation, visit www.vvf.org.
Comment on "Sold-out Conway Cup community race honoring Dan Conway kicks off Korbel American Ski Classic" using the form below